Thursday, August 6, 2015

Headboard & New Milk Paint: Part 2

I am trying out a new brand of milk paint, so I decided to experiment on an antique headboard that was in rough shape: missing veneer, chips, scratches- you name it.  (See part one here.)


At first, I mixed the paint powder as directed in a 1:1 ratio with water and did not use any bonding agent because I wanted to let the paint chip and peel; it just suit this piece.  (If you are not familiar with milk paint, it does not always adhere to pieces the same way all over, especially if there has been some type of finish on the piece previously.  You can add a bonding agent, which can be purchased from manufacturers of milk paint, to make the paint stick a little more evenly.  I would especially add a bonding agent if there is any polyurethane on the piece.)

The paint went on just like the previous brand.  I ended up preferring to apply the paint when it was mixed with a little more water than paint. (Maybe 1.25:1?)

As the paint dried, I could see it start to lift and crack in some places, which I like because it gives the piece a more authentic antique look.  Anywhere I saw this happening, I used a putty knife to scrape the chips off...


Then I sanded the whole piece to remove any other flakes, paying special attention to the corners to replicate normal wear.


All that was left to do was seal it by applying hemp seed oil with t-shirt scrap.

I love how it came out!



Grant wasn't there to hold the headboard up for me to take a shot of the whole thing (it's so heavy that I can't move it from the spot where I was painting it), but I will take some more pictures when this gets to the booth.

All in all, I am pleased with my milk paint purchase!
...

No comments :

Post a Comment