Sunday, September 7, 2014

Cabinet Re-Do Part 1

Now that the cabinet doors Grant is making are in the works, I have started prepping the cabinet boxes for primer and paint...


I used the tips from our Little Rock Ace Hardware friend to prep the boxes (just like we did on the built-ins in LR).  We wrapped the countertops with craft paper to protect them, then I gathered two bowls, a coarse-grit sanding sponge, powdered dishwashing detergent, and a couple rags...


I put warm water with a couple tablespoons of the dishwashing detergent in the smaller bowl.  I dipped the sanding sponge in the soapy water and sanded down the surfaces.  Afterwards, I wiped down the surfaces using warm water. Then I dry everything.  (I do all three steps on one cabinet box then move to the next one.)

I sanded until I could see some natural wood showing through in the heavily-grained areas...


You can also tell you sanded sufficiently by a change in the finish: 


the sheen will be taken off when the wood has been sanded adequately.

We have two banks of upper cabinets prepped (Grant has already made doors for those boxes).  Next: priming!
..............................................

Also, today is Callie's adoption day! We've had this sweet pup for a whole year...


This was her first day in her new home.
Happy adoptiversary, Callie!
...

No comments :

Post a Comment